Monday 29 July 2013

Getting by with a little help from my friends

I quipped that indie publishing is like that saying, "it takes a village to raise a child." Without the resources of traditional publishing, an author has to figure out all the components that make up a book. Yes, surprisingly, it's not just about writing (if you write it, they will read) -- there's art, editing and marketing to think about!

Thankfully there are a lot of resources for indie writers now, such as Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing and Smashwords, to help get works out. And for all the other stuff, there are also, to my eternal gratefulness, friends who are only too willing to help out!

 That's me with graphic artist Karl Domingo who did Well Played's awesome cover and the logo that works beautifully on a shirt (my exact request!!). Photobombing us is Jao, a great friend and creative mentor, who actually workshopped / provided feedback on my first book, Pink Shoes, and helped me gain the confidence I needed to keep publishing.
Here's an instagram of Well Played from my ex-officemate (huhuhu) Tyrone. He was instrumental in getting my awesome cover into printable form. It's actually a bit technical with spine measurements and bleeds and margins and what have you, and he generously spent half an hour of his busy schedule formatting it perfectly.

Of course, I've said it here before and in the book, but I'm also super grateful for the editing and indie-guru wisdom from Mina V. Esguerra.

Thank God for inspiring, creative and talented friends!

PS


Have you read Well Played? What did you think? Send me feedback! Comment here, send me an FB message, tweet me, or better yet, post a review on Amazon or Goodreads. I'd love it if you could help get the word out!

No comments:

Post a Comment